Magician in York For Weddings, Parties and Events - Close up and Table Magic
Add that extra sparkle to your event. Hire me as a wedding magician / close-up magician for your celebrations to add a special touch of magic. I am a York based magician available for your wedding, party, charity ball, dinner event, conference or birthday celebrations in Yorkshire and beyond.
Strolling, close-up magic for your drinks reception
I will mix and mingle with your guests during your party or pre-dinner drinks reception. The effects I do are close-up and personal, often happening in the hands of the spectator. I will approach small groups and introduce myself as your magician for the event and offer to show them some magic. If there are any guests at your event who look as if they are on the edge of things I will make a particular point of trying to get them involved. If there are children at your event the magic usually draws them in like a magnet and I have fun things to hand out which they can take away and try. Think of this as an ice-breaker session. By the time your guests sit down to eat, hopefully most of them will be aware of who I am and be ready for some serious fun!
Table magic for your wedding breakfast or dinner function
I will perform whilst your guests enjoy dinner at each table. The magic is close up and the effects are different to the mix and mingle session. I'm aiming to build the excitement levels with increasing high impact effects. The best effects are of course reserved for the top table. Sometimes I may find a suitable helper like the young lad above in the checked shirt. Together we went round tables performing a card trick and I let him take the applause for it.
In terms of scale, I can cater for a small intimate group in your own home or perform to 100+ people in a banquet setting over the course of several hours.
My aim is to ensure that you and your guests have fun and are entertained. I am not out to prove anything personally. If I do get caught out then its really no big deal. I will not set out to embarrass anyone - the whole idea of what I do is that everyone is there to have fun and enjoy the magic.
Martin WaringMagician, York
Thank you so much for coming so last minute as well and for being so relaxed about how long you'd stay - you stayed until the perfect time and we are so glad you were able to do it on 4th May 2013. Love Beth and David XXX
Clare Watson 29th September 2012
Thank you so much for baffling everyone with your brilliant magic, you helped our day be more special. Thank you. Justin Haller.
Janet & Tillmann.
Martin Firth at daughter Angela’s wedding.
Guest at the Yorkshire Swan Rescue Charity Ball in the National Railway
Museum, York. Oct 2008
David Eade, Sep 2013.
Fran from York
Martin the Magician for your event in York, Yorkshire and beyond - Give your guests a fun magical experience they will remember for a long time to come.
Here are some answers to questions I often get. You may have others. No problem. Just give me a call.
- Why have a magician at my wedding reception? Isn't magic just for kids?
- A magician can bring an extra element of fun to any event but even more so to a wedding party. At most weddings I've been to there are two families, with their friends, brought together, often for the first time. People are mixing with others that they've never met before to celebrate your special occasion. So of course there's a little bit of reserve and an awkward moment as your guests arrive and start to mingle. Thats the time when I will jump in and start to perform some close-up magic, strolling from group to group. This acts as an ice-breaker to get your party started. I also engage any children who may be at your reception as they are usually the most interested in magic. I show them tricks and give them impossible things to do. Once I get their attention and a buzz of interest starts the adults get sucked in too and pretty soon people are asking each other 'how did he do that' or 'did you see what he just did', or 'come and show Auntie so and so that trick you just did'.
By the time your guests are seated for the wedding breakfast, most of them are already primed and know what to expect. They know they are in for some fun.
I wait until the starters have been cleared away and then come up to individual tables, trying not to get in the way of the serving staff. I don't normally perform whilst there is food on the table and people are still eating!
The effects I can do at a table can be different (it can help for some tricks to have a table to put things on). I will select certain people usually the ones that I can tell are up for it. Just occasionally I meet people who are not interested and I respect that fully. I'm not going to force magic on anybody.
Although I've selected an individual or a couple to perform an effect with, I'm usually performing to the whole table and I will often go round a table showing different people the same effect if its appropriate to do so. It can be difficult for me to get away to the next table sometimes as usually some wine has flowed and people have relaxed a bit and are ready to be entertained!
I'm not a comedy magician but I do like to have a bit of banter and a bit of a joke with people. What I won't do is to set out to embarrass anyone or make them look foolish. The name of the game is to have fun but not at anyone's expense.
Recently I've found children at a reception party who are really into magic and if I can I will use one of them as an impromptu assistant. I have a card trick which is perfect for letting them do most of the work and of course taking the credit, without them knowing how they did the trick!
The best tricks, I reserve for the top table. By then I might have a new assistant with me!
- What sort of tricks do you do in a walk around and table setting?
- Mainly effects that I can carry in my pockets. They usually involve things like coins, playing cards, cutlery, phones, dice, cords and laces - that sort of thing. I especially like to perform effects with items that end up in unusual places or mind reading type effects that appear impossible.
- Do you do anything dangerous?
- No - I don't use fire or anything hazardous in my magical performance.
- Can you saw someone in half?
- No. Although I do have an effect where some soft cords are made to pass through the spectator's hands (without injury I hasten to add). That is the closest I get. Some very small children may feel nervous about this effect so I am quite sensitive to the possibility of them being nervous and may demonstrate it on an adult first to prove it is safe. Once I've done that then the children usually want me to repeat the effect over and over!
- Do you steal watches?
- No I don't. I feel it does't suit my style and is probably not appropriate for my favourite environment which is a wedding party. I occasionally ask to borrow items but all items are returned intact.
- Do you hypnotise people?
- Again - this doesn't suit my style (although I am tempted to try and learn).
- What areas do you cover?
- Most of my bookings come from the immediate York and surrounding area. That's because I promote myself at wedding fairs in the York and North Yorkshire area but I have also performed in many other areas of Yorkshire and occasionally as far afield as Bristol and Cornwall. There is definitely a cost benefit to booking locally as I won't have to factor in travel and overnight stays if I am booked for an event in or near York.
- Where have you performed your magic in Yorkshire?
- Venues include:The York Hilton, The Marriott Hotel, The Monk Bar Hotel, The Cedar Court Grand Hotel, Hazlewood Castle, The Pavilion Hotel, Churchills Hotel, Burn Hall, Aldwark Manor, The Hospitium, The Merchant Adventurer's Hall, Sandburn Hall, York Racecourse, The National Railway Museum, Chiquitos, Fairfield Manor, Biltmore Bar, Rowley Manor, Barley Hall, The Parsonage at Escrick, St William's College, Solberge Hall, Middlethorpe Hall, The Grange Hotel, The Morritt Country House Hotel, Hotel du Vin, York's Chocolate Story, The Golden Lion in Northallerton, Kellington Manor Hotel, The Wensleydale Creamery, The Crown Hotel Harrogate, 315 Bar and Restaurant, Huddersfield, plus numerous private houses, marquees, village halls, various old people's homes, Driffield Showground, The Great Big Welly Fest, an RAF base and an Army base.
- How long do you perform magic for?
- The answer is that it varies quite a bit but the short answer is for as long as there seems to be a demand for my entertainment. That can range from a couple of hours to 4 or 5 hours.
If people are up for it, I can keep going for several hours. So it depends a bit on what else you have planned. I can't compete with a loud disco for example as I need to be able to talk to people but sometimes there will be a disco going on in one room and I'm doing magic in another.
- What does it cost to hire you as a magician for my event?
- That depends on several factors such as how many people you have at your party, location etc. I will quote you a fixed price. I do not charge by the hour - I like to keep things simple. I don't ask for a deposit (so far I've not had anyone quibble about paying so I've not seen the need to charge a deposit upfront). You can pay me either by cash or cheque.
My rates are highly competitive because:
- most of my work is local so this avoids incurring significant travelling expenses.
- assuming that you come direct through the website you will not be booking through an agent and so you avoid agency fees.
- I deliberately keep my costs to a minimum so that you can focus on enjoyment without worrying about the expense.
- How will I know that you are any good?
- Please review my testimonials above. They are all genuine comments that have been e-mailed to me or said to me directly. I am also a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians.
If that still doesn't convince you then give me a call and talk to me about arranging a free demonstration.
Or watch the last 20 seconds of this short video:or this one:
- What is your style of dress?
- I will try and gauge what is appropriate to the occasion and dress accordingly which usually means either a lounge suit or DJ. I do not wear jeans unless I'm doing a children's party.
- I have seen you perform and would like to give you a review. How can I do that?
- You are welcome to use the Facebook comments box below, or what most people do is drop me a line by email.
Are there any questions that I have not covered here?
The answer is easy. Pick up the phone now and ring me on 07913 398254. I will be very pleased to talk to you.
Wedding | Party | Close Up | Table Magician & Children's Entertainer York, Yorkshire.
Tel: 07913398254I am now also offering Wedding Videography (as well as magic). Pick up a fantastic deal by booking both together.
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou
6 Norfolk Street